Getting A DUI When Visiting Arizona

(Last Updated On: October 30, 2018)

How to Handle a DUI When Visiting Arizona

If you live in Arizona, you more than likely are aware of the strict penalties that the state holds for those that are convicted of a DUI. But what happens to a person that receives a DUI when visiting Arizona?

If you are an Arizona resident and are charged with a DUI, more often than not you will spend a maximum of 30 days in jail. If you are granted work release, you can usually maintain your employment.

However, if you live in a different state, your boss more than likely won’t be very lenient when you ask for 30 days off work so you can serve a jail sentence in another state.

This misdemeanor offense could have a severely negative impact on many aspects of your life.


Do I Really Have Options if I’m Out of State?

If you are from another state and get a DUI in Arizona, you do have options that may help, even in the slightest bit.

A person that lives in a different state can request to complete their jail sentence in their state of residence – a request that is usually always granted. However, it will be your responsibility to find a jail in your home state that complies with your incarceration order.

The problem with this is that many jails in other states will only take you in for a 2-3 day serve time, and won’t allow a 30 day sentence.

Another option is to go to trial.

If you and a DUI attorney can help convince the judge that your blood alcohol concentration was over .08 but below .15, the minimum jail sentence may be reduced to one day.

If you are an out-of-state resident that has been convicted of a DUI in Arizona and need legal advice, contact the Tucson DUI attorneys at Thrush Law Group.

Posted in Arizona DUI Law.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.